Monday, July 23, 2007

What's the rush, worth the rush...

This week saw the launch of a cool new website called what's the RUSH. Put together by the young people of Launceston College with the assistance of their Alcohol & Drug Counsellor, WTR is a well presented site that provides factual information about alcohol and drug issues in language that teenagers and their parents will understand.

Let's face reality. Some young people will use alcohol and other drugs whether we, as adults and parents, agree or not. That's why its important to talk openly and accurately to young people about the harms associated with alcohol and drug use, and for everyone to be aware of where they can go to get help with these issues.

WTR provides that reference source. As a parent I've bookmarked it and I'll use it. I'll also be letting my 13 year old know about it. I'd like to think she'd talk to me openly when she wants to know more about substance use and/or reality test the messages she's getting from her peers, but if she chooses not to I want her to at least know how to access reliable information such as that available at WTR.

Seeing is believing, so why not check it out for yourself?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home